Although officially no criminal offenses have been charged, New Mexico has been given funds to carry on with potential prosecutions. These charges can have serious implications on Alec Baldwin’s life and movie Rust.
Baldwin’s lawyer has responded in a letter to the recent news of the New Mexico Board of Finance requesting $635k to prosecute four individuals with criminal and homicide charges.
The letter said that, “One of the possible defendants is well known movie actor Alec Baldwin. During my communications with the DA’s office just a few weeks ago, after the August 30 funding request was submitted, I was told that it would be premature to discuss the case because they had not yet reviewed the file or deliberated about their charging decision.”
He believes the media is falsely reporting against Baldwin and calls it “irresponsible”. He adds, “The DA’s office must be given the space to review this matter without unfounded speculation and innuendo.”
Looks like charges could soon be coming following the fatal shooting of Rust cinematographer Halyna Hutchins. She was killed by a gun held by producer Baldwin on the sets.
Baldwin has maintained that he did not intentionally pull the trigger. “I didn’t pull the trigger,” he told ABC News’ George Stephanopoulos last year in December. Baldwin also says that he was told by Assistant Director Dave Halls that it was a “cold gun”.
The news of potential prosecutions came just 48 hours after Baldwin and his wife, Hilaria welcomed their seventh child. Baldwin took to Instagram to say “My heart has been broken a thousand times this past year. And things in my life may never be the same. Lots of changes coming.” He adds that, “my family has kept me alive. They are my reason for living.”
The future of Rust is bleak.