Amazon Prime has a strong reputation in the US as one of the most popular streaming services. Is the buzz, however, justified? In this review, learn how to watch Amazon Prime in Australia, what you can watch, how much it costs, and how it compares to other streaming platforms.
What is Amazon Prime, and how does it work?
Amazon Prime Video (or simply “Prime Video”) is a streaming video on demand (SVOD) service operated by Amazon, the world’s largest online retailer. Although Prime Video has been around in some form since 2006, it took off in 2016 when it acquired the rights to The Grand Tour, a show hosted by former Top Gear hosts James May, Richard Hammond, and Jeremy Clarkson. It now boasts a large selection of shows and films to watch, and it competes with other streaming services, like Netflix and Stan. The following are some of the features available on Amazon Prime Video:
- Stream entertainment to up to three different devices at the same time.
- To view material on the move, download it to your iPhone, iPad, tablet, or Android device.
- On select devices, there is a data-saving option that limits data usage while downloading and streaming.
- 30-day free trial, with the option to cancel at any time
- Add up to six profiles to one account so every member of your household can personalise their viewing experience
Quick Steps: Watch Amazon Prime in Australia via VPN in 2022
You can watch the show online with few easy steps, all you need to do is to subscribe to VPN. Watch out the following steps to watch Amazon Prime in Australia.
Download the VPN and connect to a US server.
Log in to Amazon Prime.
Find your favorite movie or show and stream it no matter where you are.
Is Amazon Prime Video in Australia?
It’s been that way since Amazon debuted its 200-country service in late 2016. With the exclusion of mainland China, Iran, North Korea, Syria, and Crimea, Prime is now available in every country on the planet.
When you sign up for Amazon Prime, you’ll also get Prime Video as part of your package. Amazon Prime is a $6.99-per-month membership that includes free shipping and access to Prime Video, Prime Music, Prime Reading, and Prime Gaming.
Best VPNs to watch Amazon Prime in Australia
- Large server network with servers in US
- Fast connections for smooth HD streaming
- Strong encryption and privacy features to protect your data
- User-friendly apps for all devices
In our testing, ExpressVPN performed spectacularly. We mainly focus on their streaming ability and to our surprise they have surpassed all other VPN providers when it comes to speed, which is a big plus.
You will experience no noticeable drop in speed, which is quite common when you connect to a VPN. However, ExpressVPN provides seamless streaming and that too with a wide range of options (Netflix, HBOMax, Hulu, Disney+, Hotstar, Paramount+, Peacock, BBCiPlayer and many other streaming and sports channels). Buying ExpressVPN not only brings you peace of mind, but also unblocks thousands of streaming platforms and channels from around the world.
- Fastest VPN, with the most premium features among all VPN services
- Seamless streaming on Servus TV, ESPN, Netflix, Hulu, HBO Max, Paramount+, Peacock, Disney+, Hotstar and thousands of other streaming and sports channels.
- Solid back-end infrastructure and Zero Logs.
- Always-available customer support.
- 30-day money back guarantee.
- Torrenting with no bandwidth caps.
- Supported devices include Mac, Windows, Android, iOS, Linux, Firestick, Kodi
- A bit expensive than other VPN services
- Their browser extension is slightly slower
The other factor that gives them a leg up is their security infrastructure and zero-log policy that makes your online activity completely invisible or untraceable on the internet.
We also noticed that ExpressVPN’s smart DNS feature lets you untap exotic locations to stream content, which is otherwise impossible. Then there the whole world of torrenting that opens up, that too without leaving a trace. This is great for those who love binging on shows.
In our testing, PureVPN turned out to be the best VPN for streaming movies, shows and sports on platforms like Servus TV, ESPN, HBO Max, Disney Plus, Paramount Plus, BBC iPlayer, Prime Video, and Showtime. It also gave us access to all the Netflix libraries we tried to access, including US, UK, Australia, Canada, and Japan. We recommend it for its impressive speed and reliable connection.
Our next best recommendation is PureVPN. Here you can safely access various channels to stream your favourite shows. The 20Gbps servers provide a buffer-free streaming experience along with an access to US Netflix, Peacock, BBC iplayer, Amazon Prime, Hulu, HBO Max, Foxtel, and many more streaming services. It also enables you to stream up-to 4K content on your favorite channels seamlessly. It also works with smartphones and tablets (apple or android), if you want to listen to something or watch a movie on your tablet, just install Pure VPN app on it and connect to a US server and watch/listen, Pure VPN currently supports all types of devices, but the major ones include Windows, Mac, iPhone, and Android
Is there a free trial for Amazon Prime Video Australia?
For new users, Amazon Prime, the online store and delivery service offer a 30-day free trial that includes free access to Amazon Prime Video. You’ll need to register an account and enter your information, but there aren’t many streaming services that provide a 30-day free trial these days, giving it a leg up on the competition.
Prime Video Subscription
An Amazon Prime Video subscription includes a full year of Amazon Prime membership (all included with its 30-day free trial). A monthly Prime Video subscription costs $8.99.
An Amazon Prime membership costs $12.99 per month in the United States.
The international costs are as follows:
- Monthly subscription: £7.99 / $7.99 CAD / €7.99 / AU$6.99 AUD
- Annual subscription: £79.00 / $79.00 CAD / €69.00 / AU$59.00 AUD
Subscribers in the United States and the United Kingdom, on the other hand, may get the Prime Video plan for $8.99 or £5.99 per month if they just want to watch classic movies and TV shows.
Amazon Prime Supported Devices
Prime Video is available on a variety of platforms, including web browsers, iOS and Android phones, and other mobile devices. Prime Video is compatible with the following devices:
- Chromecast for iOS and Android (iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch)
- Amazon Fire TVs
- Apple TVs, and Smart TVs
- Amazon Kindle Fire Tablet Prime Video works with any device that has the Prime app. Amazon Fire TV, Fire TV Stick, and Fire Tablet; Sony, Samsung, and LG Blu-Ray players; the PS5 & 4, Xbox One, and Xbox Series S & X; Roku, Google Chromecast, and Apple TV media players; Panasonic, Vizio, Sony, and LG Smart TVs are included.
How can I watch Amazon Prime?
Amazon Prime, like Netflix, is a web-based service that can be viewed on almost any device that can connect to the internet. There are a variety of suitable devices in addition to your web browser, including:
- Some smart televisions (brands include Sony, Samsung, Panasonic, LG, Hisense and Philips)
- Devices from Amazon (FireTV/Fire TV Stick, Echo devices with screens, Fire Tablet)
- Select Blu-Ray players for Xbox Series X/S, PlayStation 5, Xbox One, and PlayStation 4 gaming consoles (brands include LG, Panasonic, Samsung and Sony)
- Phones and tablets with Android and iOS (Apple) operating systems (download the app from the Apple App Store or Google Play store)
- Media players and set-top boxes (including Google Chromecast, Telstra TV and Apple TV)
How much does Amazon Prime cost?
Prime Video comes with a 30-day free trial and costs $6.99 per month after that. Unlike Stan and Netflix, you won’t have to pick between many subscription types for Prime Video because there is only one. You can also choose a year-long subscription for $59 if you pay in advance.
If you’re a frequent Amazon buyer, an Amazon Prime membership might be more beneficial. You’ll get free and fast delivery on items, as well as memberships to Prime Video Australia, Prime Reading, Prime Music, and Twitch Prime, a gaming subscription service, for the same price as the Prime Video subscription. Prime Reading gives you access to a huge selection of books, magazines, comics and more, while Prime Music allows you to stream two million songs, ad-free.
Why do you need a VPN for Amazon Prime Video in Australia?
Like other video streaming services, Amazon Prime Video also has different content for different countries. To access that content you will be needing a Prime Video subscription in that country. Here’s where a VPN comes in. A VPN allows you to replicate IP addresses of other countries from the comfort of your home. Our recommendation is PureVPN.
The VPN features excellent unblocking capabilities, allowing you to access streaming platforms such as Adult Swim and Hotstar. This VPN can also be used to access other streaming services such as the American Netflix Library.
PureVPN is compatible with Android, Windows, macOS, iOS, and Linux, among other platforms. It also has web browser extensions for Chrome, Firefox, Edge, and other browsers. Streaming devices, Smart TVs, Gaming Consoles, and Wif-Fi Routers are also supported.
What’s streaming on Prime Video in Australia?
Prime Video offers a diverse collection of episodes and movies, but its selection of Amazon Originals, like Netflix, maybe its most compelling feature for many consumers. Prime’s collection is substantially less than Netflix’s, which is maybe a reflection of its higher price. Here is a selection of Amazon Originals you can stream on Prime Video:
- Carnival Row
- The Grand Tour
- Le Mans
- Sneaky Pete
- ‘I Love Dick’
- The Man in the High Castle
- Star Trek: Picard
- Jack Ryan
- American Gods
- The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel
- Modern Love
- Mozart in the Jungle
- The Tick
- Good Omens
- Jonas Brothers Chasing Happiness
Unless you have a specific reason to view something on Prime Video, users may find it difficult to understand the value, and it’s difficult to discover what’s available before signing up. Amazon Prime, on the other hand, may be worth a try because of the free trial and low pricing. But worry not! PureVPN is your go-to VPN in such situations which will grant you access to Prime Video libraries around the world. All you have to do is select your desired country when connecting your PureVPN and viola! Enjoy Prime Video in Australia.